Hadoop System EngineerAmsterdam, Netherlands Requisition Number R0035831 Subsidiary eBay Classifieds Group
eBay Classifieds Group is an innovative leader in online classifieds with ten brands that span the globe. Our sites help people find whatever they’re looking for in their local communities – whether it’s a job, an apartment, a sofa, a car, a concert ticket, financial services or new friends. Every connection made or item found makes a difference by creating a world where people share more and waste less. People who want to connect and trade visit our sites because they’re fun, easy to use and built on trust.
About the team:
Classifieds is shaping the future of local commerce by bringing people together through an enriched online experience that allows them to reach out to the community around them. We are comprised of more than 1,000 people who are passionate for local trade and maintaining the customer-centric nature of the Group, while exploring growth opportunities in both the countries where eBay Classifieds Group already has a presence and in prospective markets.
As Hadoop System Engineer you will work with a variety of skilful teammates and become a driving force for the evolution of our Big Data systems platform on Hadoop (Cloudera).
We expect you to partner with infrastructure, network, data science, team mates to ensure applications are highly available and performing within target service levels.
Challenges are big here! We need to support and grow our petabyte-scale cluster, supporting millions of events per day, ranging from small to cluster-consuming analytical jobs. As eCG is constantly innovating in the Big Data field, so does our need for storage and compute solutions, you will be tasked to make sure our cluster can support the needs of the business and remains stable, secure and cost-efficient.
The ideal candidate will also spend time automating operational workflows, performing architecture and design reviews, investigating system failures, improving our monitoring infrastructure.
- Principally responsible for implementation and ongoing administration of Big Data (Hadoop) infrastructure ensuring our environment is secure, healthy, backed up, and ready for all contingencies.
- Engage in service capacity planning and demand forecasting, software performance analysis and system tuning.
- Ensure high level of customer satisfaction.
- Perform operating system and application updates, patches etc.
- Support one of the biggest Cloudera installations in the Netherlands in a fast paced environment.
- Engineering degree or equivalent work experience
- Knowledge of Hadoop (HDFS, Sentry, HBase, Impala, Hue, Spark, Hive, Oozie, YARN, and ZooKeeper)
- Administration experience in Linux based environment and programming skills (Python).
- Self-motivation in a team-based environment with strong initiative and enthusiasm
- Strong experience on Kerberos Hadoop security.
- Hands-on experience with infrastructure automation tools and orchestrators (Puppet, SaltStack).
- Programming in Java or python is a plus
- Experience on Postgres/MySQL DB and Ansible.
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, eBay offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs. Including maternal & paternal leave, paid sabbatical, and plans to help ensure your financial security today and in the years ahead because we know feeling financially secure during your working years and through retirement is important.
We love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about our Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: