Senior Software Engineer, Back End
Looking for a company that encourages passion, courage and inventiveness? Then join a team where we are crafting the future of global commerce. We shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world. If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to building a results-oriented and inclusive workplace, join ebay, a company you can be proud to be a part of.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
Do you want to make an impact on the world’s largest e-commerce website? Are you interested in building performance efficient, high-volume and highly scalable distributed systems? We have a place for you! We need passionate, self-motivated, and top-notch software engineers to join our team to build and handle an extraordinary Risk Management System responsible for handling seller and buyer risk in the ebay marketplace. As a self-motivated and enthusiastic member of our team, you will be working side by side with very hardworking peers in a fun environment best-in-class premier risk products. You will work in an agile environment with a focus on problem solving and engineering excellence.
- Build solutions using your strong background in distributed systems, and large scale database systems.
- Research, analyze, design, develop and test the solutions that are appropriate for our technology strategies.
- Participate in design discussions, code reviews and project related team meetings.
- Work with other engineers, Architecture, Product Management, QA, and Operations teams to develop innovative solutions that meet business needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, realistic implementation schedules and alignment to development principles and product goals.
- Develop technical & domain expertise and apply to solving product challenges.
- Independently design, implement, and test major features and capabilities on complex features
- Drive architecture discussions, and proposes solutions to system and product changes. Produce clear, well-documented, complete designs for product features or sub-systems
- Contribute in product design, design reviews and code reviews; can competently review any aspect of their product
- Recognized as the go-to Developer for a major service portfolio and is seen as a leader in their specialized field!
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to other team members
- Estimate engineering effort; plan implementation of optimizing prototypes into production code and lead small execution teams
- Frequently collaborate with other functional teams' leadership
- Promote and communicate your design, methods, and results to a community of researchers, developers, analysts, and product managers working on a number of related technologies
- 10+ years of software design and development experience, solid foundation in computer science with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design
- Excellent knowledge in practicing OOAD, architectural and design patterns, open source platforms, frameworks, technologies and software engineering methodologies
- 8+ years of hands-on experience in Java/J2EE, RESTful Web Services, Design Patterns, and OOA/D.
- Experience in technologies like Hadoop, HBase, Cassandra, Druid and Elastic Search
- 8+ years in building highly scalable, reliable distributed systems and experience in distributed real time stream processing systems like Storm, Samza, Spark etc
- 10+ years of hands on experience in Unix/Linux and Windows environment
- Experience with Perl/Python like scripting languages is desirable and a major plus
- Experience in using source control systems such as Git or Clearcase, tracking systems like JIRA
- Strong expertise in agile development
- Ability to think innovatively and drive the success of the products, processes and customer experience
- Ability to adapt to changing business priorities and to thrive under pressure.
- Excellent communication skills, particularly those relating to complex findings and communicating them to ensure audience appeal at different levels of the organization
- Shown ability to understand the business and ability to contribute to technology direction that will give to measurable business improvements.
- Excellent decision-making, communication, collaboration, and influencing skills
MS or Bachelor’s degree (BSCS or BSEE or Other Related 4 year Technical Degree)
Here at eBay, we love crafting opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about eBay’s Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years