Principal MTS / ArchitectBellevue, Washington Requisition Number R0038339
Principal Member Technical Staff / Architect
Ebay, a pioneer in eCommerce, prides itself for being where the world goes to shop, sell and give. We connect 25 million sellers to 180 million active buyers across 190 markets to participate in global commerce of 1.2 billion listings - one of the largest product catalog in the world.
What sets us apart?
Our vision for commerce is one that is enabled by people, powered by technology, and open to everyone. We work hard to create a level playing field where all players, big or small, have the same economic opportunity.
Shipping connects the online marketplace to physical logistics. We simplify options for thousands of sellers, partner with carriers across the globe, and provide cheap, fast and reliable options for millions of buyers. Shipping is a core eBay initiative responsible for delivering the world’s greatest selection cheaply, conveniently and dependably. The shipping team at eBay powers many features including -- Convenient shipping options to pick up from lockers or stores, Manage international shipping challenges (Customs, Import Requirements etc.) on behalf of sellers, Integrated Tracking and Label Printing Platform, Predictive models for Delivery Estimates, Shipping Recommendations, Item Weight/Dimensions, Innovative solutions for Transport Intermediation, Fast and Free shipping loyalty programs.
Are you passionate about being a customer advocate and delivering high-quality designs and components that can scale vertically and horizontally? Are you a creative thinker, not afraid to find outside-the-box solutions for difficult challenges with high scale systems? Then this is the job for you. We are looking for self-motivated and enthusiastic individuals to join us to help build products that will evolve and grow eBay’s Core Shipping Product offerings.
In this position as an Architect, you will be a technical thought leader at eBay. You will drive raising the bar on eBay’s overall technical architecture and engineering practices. You’ll work on hard problems, build high quality, architecturally sound systems that are aligned with our business needs. You can translate business needs into technology solutions working across organizations and roles. Your expertise is deep and broad; you are hands on, producing both detailed technical work and high-level architectural designs. You are driven to engage with business problems and leaders to invent simple solutions with real-world application.
As a senior technical individual contributor you will:
• Serve as a technical lead on our most demanding, cross-functional projects.
• Ensure the quality of architecture and design of systems.
• Lead the design, get hands dirty and write code, and ultimately deploy successful enterprise-level systems that can be leveraged for a broad set of business use cases.
• Functionally deconstruct complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions that demonstrate significant creativity and high judgment.
• Fully and completely understand system interdependencies and limitations.
• Possess expert knowledge in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and engineering best practices.
• Leverage knowledge of internal and industry prior art in design decisions.
• Assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and the community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members.
• Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.
• Work effectively with product development and engineering teams across multiple geographies.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related technical field
- 15-20+ years of relevant, broad engineering experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience leading the delivery of services and large-scale distributed systems
- Deep understanding of system performance tradeoffs, load balancing, and engineering for high availability and scalability.
- Technical expertise in distributed systems and Service Oriented Architecture
- Experience leading development life cycle process and best practice
- Experience mentoring/training the engineering community on complex technical issues
- Prior experience working in a B2C environment
- Domain knowledge on Shipping, Fulfilment and Logistics
- Experience with building cloud based services
- Proficiency in Machine Learning and Deep Learning technologies
- Experience working with Open Source technologies
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: