Senior Database EngineerBellevue, Washington
New York, New York
Portland, Oregon Requisition Number R0040194 Subsidiary eBay
eBay is a global commerce leader that allows you to shape how the world buys, sells, and gives. You’ll be part of a work culture that’s been genuinely committed to diversity and inclusion since its founding more than 20 years ago. Here, you can just be yourself, do your best work, and have a meaningful impact on people across the globe. We are looking for people with drive, ideas, and a passion for helping small businesses succeed to help shape the future of eBay—does this sound like you? If so, we’d love to talk to you!
About the Team:
Core Technology (CT) is a global team responsible for the end-to-end eBay technology platform. This platform runs our entire infrastructure and all the services that come together to form ebay.com.
Do you want to work on databases that process hundreds of billions of transactions per month? Do you strive to build database systems that are highly reliable, performant, and easy to operate using the automation you write? If you find these challenges exciting, we encourage you to apply.
As a part of the Database team, you’ll be working with engineers who build and support our database environment which hosts thousands of containerized/virtualized database platforms which includes MongoDB, Couchbase, Cassandra, Foundation-DB and MySQL for site facing applications. You’ll be involved in the early stages of migrating our database platform from VMs to containers and provide consulting to application teams that are migrating workloads. We believe in using automation to increase reliability and reduce toil, so you’ll have the opportunity to use your programming skills and out-of-the-box thinking to create tools that automate entire life cycle management for the clusters on different platforms and set up advanced database monitoring.
This is an opportunity to work from home or a remote office in Portland, New York, Philadelphia or Austin.
What You’ll Do:
- Build systems that help teams migrate from our database platform from VMs to Containerized environments.
- Assist in the creation, administration, and monitoring of Couchbase, Cassandra, MongoDB and MySql and infrastructure.
- Partner with internal development teams on datastore selection, schema design, query optimization, and monitor database capacity.
- Investigating database tuning settings and query changes needed to improve performance, availability, and reliability.
- Developing tools in Go/Python/Java to automate the operation (server and database provisioning, backups, fail-overs, monitoring, etc.) of our Dockerized database infrastructure to reduce possibilities for manual error and increase team efficiency.
What you Bring:
- 4+ years of experience supporting database systems or in system administration roles.
- Real-world experience administering MySQL, Couchbase, Cassandra, MongoDB in production.
- Experience operating databases hosted on cloud platforms.
- Strong engineering approach and dev-ops mentality.
- Experience using Kubernetes managed databases.
- Proficiency using Go, Python and/or Java to automate system-level tasks.
- Experience with Docker container deployments and administration.
- Experience with Ansible, Salt, Puppet or other configuration management tools.
- Knowledge of handling distributed systems.
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, eBay offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs. Including maternal & paternal leave, paid sabbatical, and plans to help ensure your financial security today and in the years ahead because we know feeling financially secure during your working years and through retirement is important.
Here at eBay, we love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about eBay’s Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: