Strategy DirectorBern, Switzerland Requisition Number R0040556 Subsidiary eBay
eBay is one of the world’s largest online marketplaces, connecting millions of buyers and sellers every day. Our ambition is to be the place the world shops first, because we offer the best choice, most relevant shopping experiences and the most powerful selling platform. If it is happening anywhere in the world, it is happening on eBay.
Launched in 1995 with a sale of a broken laser pointer, eBay is one of the pioneers that ushered in the era of online retail, and was particularly well-known for its auctions. However, as shopping behaviour has been changing, eBay has been evolving too. eBay today is very different than its early auction days: vast majority of items sold on our marketplaces are new, sold at fixed price, with free delivery in 2-3 days. And we continue working to transform the company at an accelerating pace.
eBay Strategy Directors are tasked with independently leading complex, mission critical projects for the organization in close partnership with cross-functional teams across the business. The role provides the intellectual challenge typical of strategy consulting projects, while also offering an opportunity to gain deeper insight into how strategy is mobilized and executed in an e-commerce company. You will work directly with eBay’s executive leadership, and partner with regional leaders and operating teams, as well as other members of the global Strategy group, to develop and mobilize strategy recommendations.
This Strategy Director role is based in Bern, Switzerland and reports into the Sr. Director Strategy based in Switzerland. The director position provides a unique level of exposure and responsibility for candidates looking to move into a corporate role that provides future opportunities for rapid advancement across the eBay organization.
The global eBay Strategy team plays an important role in helping eBay’s transformation into a modern ecommerce player. The Strategy function is well embedded within eBay, and is highly regarded and valued by the senior leadership, and, as such, has a great deal of exposure at global and local levels. Members of the Global Strategy team split time between global initiatives, regional priorities, and local assignments. The strategy team has an excellent track record of nurturing, developing and promoting its members into roles beyond that which they were hired to undertake. Candidates need to have the potential and drive to undertake operational, commercial or wider leadership positions within the firm.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Strategy development and execution: Run complex, mission-critical strategic projects in close partnership with cross functional teams end-to-end. Drive project scoping, business case development and insight generation.
- Relationship Building: Develop strong working relationships with key decision makers and functional groups across eBay.
- Communication: Present strategies and insights to senior management and the European leadership team.
- Market & Competitive Intelligence: Develop strong subject matter expertise and share with leadership teams strategic implications for eBay Marketplaces.
- Senior presence, superior communication and influencing skills – able to handle a diverse set of stakeholders and become a ‘go-to’ thought partner for senior management.
- Extensive project leadership skills with a strong track record of results delivery
- World-class strategic and analytical capabilities (quantitative and qualitative)
- Passion for e-commerce and new online products / technologies (e.g. e-commerce, payments, mobile)
- Strong and open personality, ability to work with senior business partners and challenge assumptions or opinions
- Strong team leadership skills – able to nurture and develop team members
- Intrinsic motivation and curiosity to look for the best possible answer
- Comfort in dealing with ambiguity, making recommendations based on data available.
- Highly collaborative – be fun, outgoing, and easy to work with!
- Master’s degree/ MBA from a top tier institution
- 10+ years of work experience
- Experience at a top-tier management consulting firm is a must
- Consumer internet background or good understanding of internet / ecommerce trends and passion for online & mobile business models
- Self-starter & independent work style
- Flexibility to travel
- Fluent in English (verbal and written). Additional European languages (especially German) a plus.
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, eBay offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs. Including maternal & paternal leave, paid sabbatical, and plans to help ensure your financial security today and in the years ahead because we know feeling financially secure during your working years and through retirement is important.
We love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about our Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: