Privacy Counsel eBay Classifieds GermanyDreilinden, Germany
Berlin, Germany Requisition Number R0039853
eBay Classifieds Group is an innovative leader in online classifieds with ten brands that span the globe. Our sites help people find whatever they’re looking for in their local communities – whether it’s a job, an apartment, a sofa, a car, a concert ticket, financial services or new friends. Every connection made or item found makes a difference by creating a world where people share more and waste less. People who want to connect and trade visit our sites because they’re fun, easy to use and built on trust.
About the team:
Classifieds is shaping the future of local commerce by bringing people together through an enriched online experience that allows them to connect with the community around them. We are comprised of more than 1,000 people who are passionate for local trade and maintaining the customer-centric nature of the Group, while exploring growth opportunities in both the countries where eBay Classifieds Group already has a presence and in prospective markets. We invite you to join us!
eBay Inc.’s Legal Department is hiring an experienced in-house e-commerce Privacy lawyer to join our eBay Classifieds (“eCG”) Legal Team - to be based at Mobile.de and eBay K’s HQ’s in Dreilinden/Berlin Germany (partial remote working is a possibility). The eCG DE Privacy Counsel will be the primary privacy advisor on all privacy related matters to eCG’s businesses in Germany – advising both the eCG DE Legal Team and the business teams.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about working in one of the e-commerce world's premier in-house legal departments, sitting with the business and acting as a true business partner - advising on sophisticated online Privacy issues. The candidate should have significant experience operating as in-house privacy counsel in the international/German online advertising/marketing ecosystem. This position will report to the eBay Chief Privacy Officer.
This Role’s primary accountabilities include:
- Sitting with the fast paced, eBay K and Mobile.de legal and business teams and acting as their real-time Privacy advisor – guiding business strategy and carrying out operational privacy work;
- Working with business, legal and other partners to provide privacy guidance on products, functionalities, projects and advising on appropriate risk-based mitigation, and privacy compliance strategies;
- Conducting Privacy Impact Assessments (PIAs) on relevant products, functionalities and services involving collection, processing, disclosure and deletion of personal information;
- Assisting the eCG Legal Team and business/product organizations in carrying out privacy elements of web/mobile product reviews;
- Supporting the eCG Legal Team in the privacy elements of commercial contracts with advertisers, ad agencies, ad servers, and data management companies, as well as major AdTech/MarTech platforms;
- Lead eBay K and Mobile.de responses to German privacy regulatory inquiries, notifications, interface;
- Establishing and maintaining strong positive engagement with relevant regulators (LDA) and industry organizations (IAB, etc.);
- Independently coordinating with functional partners, including Information Security, Litigation, IP, and other internal teams;
- Handling external counsel where necessary;
- Willingness to take over DPO positions for eBay K and Mobile.de.
- Strong understand and working experience in global privacy laws, including but not limited to EU GDPR, German Data Protection Law, experience in other EU regulatory regimes highly beneficial;
- Strong understanding of privacy, business and technology aspects of online advertising including Consent Management Platforms (CMPs), IAB Consent Framework (TCF 2.0) and related consent legal/regulatory/privacy issues;
- Minimum of 7 years of privacy legal experience at a law firm and/or in-house, including significant time working with internet, technology and/or media companies in the ad tech/data space (e.g., ad serving, programmatic, data management, measurement and analytics);
- Experience working in a matrixed, cross-department, cross-functional role requiring good client relationship skills, including the ability to independently solicit the advice and input of different partners as necessary and appropriate;
- Be qualified to practice law in Germany – multiple jurisdiction qualifications a plus;
- Fluent in German and English languages;
- Willingness and ability to travel.
Ideal candidates will:
- Have major ecommerce/AdTech platform in-house legal experience;
- Good relationships with industry organizations and regulators (IAB, privacy regulators, etc.);
- Certified International Privacy Professional (CIPP/E) highly beneficial;
- Additional privacy certifications (CIPP/M or CIPP/T) highly beneficial;
- LLM in IT/IP/E-commerce law.
Relocation packages are possible.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, eBay offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs.
We love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about our Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: