Design ResearcherSan Francisco, California
Bellevue, Washington Requisition Number R0039531
eBay is a global commerce leader that allows you to shape how the world buys, sells, and gives. You’ll be part of a work culture that’s been genuinely committed to diversity and inclusion since its founding almost 25 years ago. Here, you can just be yourself, do your best work, and have a meaningful impact on people across the globe. We are looking for people with drive, ideas, and a passion for helping small businesses succeed to help shape the future of eBay—does this sound like you? If so, we’d love to talk to you!
About the team:
eBay is in search of a Design Researcher who is radically passionate about people, captures phenomenal insights, and gives those insights to a design team crafting products and services. Human-centered insights and a deep understanding of people and culture are critical to how we do our best work. Design Researchers guide partners and teams through this research to discover, interpret, and communicate insights & opportunities in an inspiring way, while contributing to all phases of the design process. Researchers at eBay help our teams use design as way of understanding people and culture while at the same time using what we learn to inspire and inform design.
Once at eBay you will
- Be involved with the research portion of a project, synthesize insights, translate these findings to catalyze design and strategic decisions, and collaborate with the team to turn those findings into powerful design and stories.
- Go beyond simply capturing insights, you will be using them to inspire your teams and partners, thereby putting design in motion.
- 5 years of qualitative research experience culminating in a sound ability to scope a research process, gather insights from secondary research, lead fieldwork, and conduct in-context interviews and observation.
- Experience using quantitative methods in an applied, professional context to drive insight and understanding in service of design and decision making.
- Experience drawing from a variety of research methods–interviews, observation, diary studies, prototyping, surveys, user testing, and experiments–at different stages of the design process: to encourage early design work, inform the initial opportunity, collect formative feedback to support iteration, and validate a go-to-market solution.
- Outstanding communication and storytelling skills. Proficiency in multiple media for storytelling–while grounding storytelling in research–a bonus.
In addition you have
- The ability to bring your personal interests and passions to the role to provide a unique perspective to research whether from modern art, trends in architecture, 19th century history, cultural anthropology, or whatever gets you going
- Openness to learn from people who are much different than you and a willingness to challenge your own assumptions
- A desire to keep digging into insights, going beyond the obvious to identify what is truly outstanding or different about what you’re seeing in the world
- Evidence of a voracious appetite for experimenting with new tools and technologies that push learning in new directions, reach people in new ways, or complement depth of insight, with scale
- Proficiency and confidence in inspiring teammates and partners with user-driven rationale along with the experience not only to tell stories, but translating insights into actionable ideas/design
- Ability to work flexibly and efficiently, exercising a balance between research rigor, extreme organizational skills, and inspiration
- High comfort level in working within a proactive culture and navigating ambiguity; Openness to critique from other disciplines and curiosity to learn from a spectrum of perspectives
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: