Sr. Design Research Lead (Manager)San Francisco, California
Bellevue, Washington Requisition Number R0039829 Subsidiary eBay
Location: San Francisco, CA or Bellevue, WA
About the team:
Human-centered insights and a deep understanding of people and cultures are critical to how we do our best work. Our team of Design Researchers guide design partners and cross-functional teams at eBay to discover, interpret, and communicate insights and opportunities in an inspiring way, while contributing to all phases of the design process.
We’re looking for a driven leader who is radically inspired by people and excels at leading the charge of gathering and communicating insights that put our users at the center of our product thinking. The ideal candidate loves working with peers and leaders to mine for insights that drive elegant solutions to tough problems. This people leader is a talent magnet and a pro at driving and developing their research team’s practice.
In this role, you will work within the Product team, alongside partners from Design, Product Management, Engineering, Marketing, and other core teams to ensure your research team is optimized to develop key insights to drive great experiences. You will support your team of talented Design Researchers in designing, planning, conducting, and socializing user research across a spectrum of methodologies. You are a strong influencer and promoter within and outside the Design organization, as well as an external face for eBay’s Design Research team.
· Devise and curate a mixed-methods practice of gathering both generative and evaluative insights on designs and concepts. Methods may include: in-lab and field studies, online surveys, usability testing, moderated and unmoderated remote testing, participatory design, customer journey mapping, personas, benchmarking, heuristic evaluations, in-depth user interviews, as well as stakeholder interviews
· Lead a motivated and constantly learning team of Design Researchers, providing guidance and mentorship along the way
· Manage budget and maintain a healthy bench of external vendors for specific needs
· Manage internal relationships with peers across the Design Organization, as well as Marketing, Product Management, Engineering, and other partners
· Establish and maintain an efficient strategy for scoping research, execution, and readout to ensure velocity and visibility across internal partners
· Monitor the impact of insights generated by the team and take part in leading the always-growing Design Research practice at eBay
· Proven people leader with experience in all aspects of managing teams
· 6+ years of experience in an applied user research setting
· 3+ years of experience in managing user research/product research teams
· Advanced Degree in Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive or Experimental Psychology, Cognitive Science, or a related field
· Consistent track record of building and curating a Design Research program, employing a range of methodologies depending on need
· Practical experience in deploying qualitative and quantitative research methods throughout the product development lifecycle, from conceptualization to launch
· Ability to solve complex problems and support the team in delivery of insights
· Strong communication skills, experienced influencer, and advocate for user research
· eCommerce/global research experience are desired
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: