Sr. Design Research LeadSan Francisco, California
Bellevue, Washington Requisition Number R0040581 Subsidiary eBay
Location: San Francisco or Bellevue
eBay is a global commerce leader that allows you to shape how the world buys, sells, and gives. You’ll be part of a work culture that’s been genuinely committed to diversity and inclusion since its founding more than 20 years ago. Here, you can just be yourself, do your best work, and have a meaningful impact on people across the globe. We are looking for people with drive, ideas, and a passion for helping small businesses succeed to help shape the future of eBay—does this sound like you? If so, we’d love to talk to you!
About the Team
Human-centered insights and a deep understanding of people and cultures are critical to how we do our best work. Our team of Design Researchers guide design partners and cross-functional teams at eBay to discover, interpret, and communicate insights and opportunities in an inspiring way, while contributing to all phases of the design process.
We’re looking for a driven leader who is radically inspired by people and excels at leading the charge of gathering and communicating insights that put our users at the center of our product thinking. This researcher will lead research that guides the design of experiences for sellers on eBay. The ideal candidate loves working with peers and leaders to mine for insights that drive elegant solutions to tough problems.
In this role, you will work within the Product team, alongside partners from Design, Product Management, Engineering, Marketing, and other core teams to ensure your research is optimized to develop key insights to drive great experiences. You will design, plan, conduct, and socialize user research across a spectrum of methodologies. You will be a strong influencer and promoter within and outside the Design organization, as well as an external face for eBay’s Design Research team.
- Devise and curate a mixed-methods practice of gathering both generative and evaluative insights on designs and concepts. Methods may include: in-lab and field studies, online surveys, usability testing, moderated and unmoderated remote testing, participatory design, customer journey mapping, personas, benchmarking, heuristic evaluations, in-depth user interviews, as well as stakeholder interviews.
- Lead research for our selling experiences, synthesize insights, translate these findings to catalyze design and strategic decisions, and collaborate with the team to turn those findings into powerful design and stories.
- Going beyond simply capturing insights, you will be using them to inspire your teams and clients, thereby putting design in motion.
- Manage internal relationships with peers across the Design Organization, as well as Marketing, Product Management, Engineering, and other partners.
- Establish and maintain an efficient strategy for scoping research, execution, and readout to ensure velocity and visibility across internal partners.
- Monitor the impact of insights generated and take part in leading the always-growing Design Research practice at eBay.
- 8+ years of experience in an applied user research setting
- Advanced Degree in Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive or Experimental Psychology
- Practical experience in deploying qualitative and quantitative research methods throughout the product development lifecycle, from conceptualization to launch
- Experience drawing from a variety of research methods–interviews, observation, diary studies, prototyping, surveys, user testing, and experiments–at different stages of the design process: to encourage early design work, inform the initial opportunity, collect formative feedback to support iteration, and validate a go-to-market solution.
- Ability to solve complex problems and support the team in delivery of insights
- Strong communication and storytelling skills, experienced influencer, and advocate for user research
- eCommerce/global research experience are desired
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: