Staff Backend Software Engineer
San Francisco, California
At StubHub, our mission is to bring the joy of live to fans globally. We’re the world's largest ticket marketplace, and we make sure that the events where you want to be are never sold out.
At StubHub, we are:
Owners – We carry the ball. We act as one team, in it together. We live above the line as optimists and with a solution mindset. We are fully accountable for solving problems, both our own pieces and the whole.
Fan First – We are the fans’ biggest fan. We are the fan and the voice of our fans in everything we do.
Driven – We push past the finish line, aggressively prioritize and focus on what matters most. We debate, decide, commit and deliver.
Inventive – We play a new chord; we celebrate progress over perfection and learnings as much as success. We’re agile because there is always more than one way.
Courageous – We take big swings. We show up for challenges with resilience and persistence. We take risks, embrace failure as a path to learning, and speak up when we have a different opinion.
Diverse & Inclusive – We harmonize. We assume positive intent, trust and empower others; bring a global mindset and seek out alternative viewpoints.
As a lead backend engineer at StubHub, you’ll be the hands-on engineer and leader who inspires our team to produce amazing systems that support our product and business. Reporting to an engineering manager or director, you’ll be responsible for working with your product manager counterpart to understand the problems we’re trying to tackle, driving the creation of a solution design, and being responsible for the team in executing. Our stack is primarily Java, and we’re moving from on-premise hosting to a PaaS-based cloud architecture. While this is not a people management position, we expect our lead engineers to bring out the best in other engineers, and help us scale by growing the technical capabilities of engineering as a whole.
- You will be responsible for the technical aspects of a set of our systems (commensurate with your skills and experience)
- Lead the creation of technical designs in response to business requirements
- Deliver consistently high quality software with your team
- Identify areas where technology innovation can be used to grow our business
- Grow our technical capabilities by guiding and mentoring junior engineers
- Collaborate with other technology leaders to develop standards, best practices and other tools that make us more productive as engineers
- Communicate and influence effectively with tech and non-tech stakeholders
- Eventually, augment your expert-level knowledge of our systems with a broad knowledge of all systems in our ecosystem
- An ownership mindset - we completely own our systems from the whiteboard to the cloud and beyond
- Leadership - you are a multiplier of engineering teams, and a trusted partner for the business
- Expertise in Java and its ecosystem (some tech we use: Spring Boot, Kafka)
- Lessons learned from migrating from legacy tech, monoliths and on-premise infrastructure to modern, PaaS-based systems hosted on cloud infrastructure (we use PCF and GCP)
- Experience building products with full stack technologies, and an excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals, data structures and algorithms
- A talent for influencing and collaborating with PMO, UX, PMs and other functions that help deliver an outstanding product
- Experience with Agile development methodologies, particularly Scrum
- A love of diving deep to confront difficult challenges across the organization
- An understanding of what it takes to build products that are deployed at scale
We expect successful candidates will have obtained the competencies above over a career of 8+ years of hands-on engineering experience, and a BS/MS/PhD degree in computer science or other related discipline
Are you interested in joining an ambitious and close-knit team dedicated to solving meaningful customer problems? Your work will have a significant impact on the business, and help spread the joy of concerts, theater, and sports around the world.
We love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about our Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years