Visual DesignerSan Francisco, California
San Jose, California Requisition Number R0037204 Subsidiary eBay
As a Visual Designer in the eBay product design group, you will help to drive the future state of our product design language working (within the Payments domain team / across all domains experiences) in collaboration with the leadership team, design leads and working closely with our product & brand partners. Your key responsibility is to craft a compelling design vocabulary, mood & visual style for eBay. Visual Designers are specialists with a passion for typography, iconography, layout, color, motion, sound, 2D, 3D, AR & VR. Your focus will be to help drive, adopt, and maintain the new core design primitives (typography, iconography, radius (shape), color, sound, depth, motion, layout, navigation) for eBay web, mobile, and tablet experiences. It will be the Visual Designer’s responsibility to align very closely with brand to help shift the narrative and bring brand through the core product design experience. This will allow the product experience to inform the brand expression and create a holistic CX across everything eBay executes. The Visual Designer will also need to work closely with engineering to ensure quality control and to ensure pixel-perfect execution. The Visual Designer will be responsible for adopting, scaling, maintaining & helping to drive the shared core component systems and for updating the product design playbook or style guide for companywide use. You will work closely with design leaders, product management, brand, marketing, and engineering to successfully go from early stage product concepts to launch. You are a very creative visionary that can translate business needs into a fantastic customer-focused solution. You must be responsive, flexible, and able to succeed within an open and collaborative peer environment. The ideal candidate for this position will be at ease visualizing an experience in the abstract and then being able to drive that vision into solid design deliverables. Visual Designers are visual storytellers that can produce great visual concepts and deliver those concepts in high fidelity with the highest-quality fit and finish. They know how to execute dynamic designs that translate into motion and can storyboard their ideas to help direct motion designers to execute a vision. They can discern what is good design and clearly articulate why. They are our tastemakers.
Visual Designers employ humanist design methods to craft superior UX, usability, & legibility. They develop and maintain highest design standards and act responsibly in their execution of these standards, as well strive to continuously innovate and improve. They may manage other Visual Designers and/or vendors. They interact with the relevant business, development, project/program management groups, other designers and executives to succeed. While our Visual Designers are passionate about their discipline and customer experience, they also possess the business acumen to understand the impact of their efforts within a wider scope.
You love a challenge and are hungry to help reinvigorate one of the internet’s pioneer brands. You care about making great products and obsess over the details. You negotiate and evolve design with partners in the project team, and ensure the integrity of the design is upheld. You're knowledgeable about our competitors, understand established design patterns and best practices, but always feel the need to do better.
- Drive the design and communication of design guidelines, patterns, and libraries
- Craft beautiful design solutions that adhere to the eBay design language
- Produce experience architecture, user flows, wireframes, prototypes, user interface specifications, and final graphics
- Help drive the vision for crafting unique and compelling motion design for the eBay core product experiences.
- Create extraordinary user-centered designs incorporating business requirements, product learning and customer feedback
- Partner with others in the broader design community to develop and extend the experience across the array of offerings
- Communicate your design work and negotiate future direction with peers, researchers, design leaders, product partners and executives
- Inspire and mentor others on the core product team
- Work collaboratively with research team members and management. Take responsibility for initiating peer reviews of work and make time to give feedback on others’ deliverables as requested.
- Regularly look outward to identify opportunities for improvement and to incorporate advancements in UX technology, methods, and tools.
- 5+ years professional experience as an UX design lead / user experience designer; expertise in both visual and motion design
- Strong understanding of the user-centered design process
- Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, UX Design, or related design discipline
- Experience with design and prototyping tools such as Invision, Figma, Sketch, Adobe, & Keynote
- Experience designing mobile web, and/or on-device mobile applications
- Ability to cultivate an understanding of industry trends and communicate your ideas to the design org as a whole
- A portfolio that showcases relevant design projects and includes your process, design explorations and final work
- Able to understand detail and find radically simple solutions that delight users
- Experience partnering with product managers and developers to deliver great experiences
- Curious minds and an appetite for learning
- A strong point of view paired with a healthy dose of humility
- Fearless brainstorming
- Passion for the craft and the ability to showcase ideas with the latest design and prototyping tools
- A user-centric and strategic approach
- A point of view on the design and technology trends that will shape the future of our industry
Here at eBay, we love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work.. To learn about eBay’s Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: