Director, Lead Risk CounselSan Jose, California Requisition Number R0036438 Subsidiary eBay
eBay is where the world goes to shop, sell, and give. Whether you are buying new or used, plain or luxurious, commonplace or rare, trendy or one-of-a-kind – if it exists in the world, it probably is for sale on eBay. Our mission is to be the world’s favorite destination for discovering great value and unique selection. We give sellers the platform, solutions, and support they need to grow their businesses and thrive. We measure our success by our customers' success.
eBay Inc.’s innovative Legal Department is seeking a global, business-focused Director, Lead Risk Counsel to join our team based in San Jose, CA. In this role, you will lead legal support for eBay’s Risk team within its Global Payments organization. The Risk team has responsibility for limiting payment fraud, enhancing buyer and seller risk policies, implementing new product solutions that mitigate financial risks and leveraging data to improve risk management across eBay. You will collaborate with cross-functional teams in Risk, Finance, Compliance, and Product to ensure that eBay has a plan to successfully build the risk policies, procedures and platform to maximize revenues, effectively manage risk, and efficiently utilize operating expense to deliver an outstanding buying and selling experience for our customers. Risk management is also at the core of Payments done well - and we are hiring curious, driven, and fearless experts to transform our business unit to enable eBay's next generation Payments strategy. Our focus is to ensure the integrity of our marketplace for buyers and sellers who transact with us every single day.
The ideal candidate is someone who is passionate about building and innovating with an intense focus on the customer experience. S/he will have been part of advising risk management functions within fintech companies and/or other global marketplaces. S/he will work in one of the e-commerce world's premier in-house Legal & Government Relations/Public Policy Departments as a key advisor on one of eBay’s most significant strategic moves in the last few years. S/he must lead in a practical, pragmatic way on a diverse range of cutting-edge legal issues in the risk and payments space.
- Work with business and functional stakeholders to implement solutions related to underwriting, fraud mitigation for online and mobile payment transactions, and loss mitigation and recovery
- Negotiate commercial contracts with a wide variety of risk and data vendors in support of new Risk initiatives
- Serve as a key strategic partner and counselor to eBay’s VP for Risk.
- Act as a primary liaison between the Risk team and eBay’s AML Compliance program
- Provide product legal advice throughout the implementation of new risk-related products and programs
Candidates must ideally have:
- Law degree and authorized to practice law in the United States.
- At least 8+ years of relevant legal experience
- Understanding of legal principles applicable to risk, especially in the payments and fintech space, including the payments ecosystem (e. g., the role of acquiring and issuing banks, card networks, payment processors, gateways, etc.), compliance obligations and consumer protection laws
- Experience providing product legal advice and also negotiating commercial contracts
- Strong business acumen and, in particular, well versed and articulate in connection with trends and key players in the payments and e-commerce sectors
- The ability to build strong relationships quickly and interact with junior to senior business leaders with ease
- Willingness to be flexible with the scope and variety of projects to be undertaken in this role
- Comfort with ambiguity, constant change, a fast-paced culture, and a practical, solutions-oriented focus to solving legal challenges
- Capable of working with minimal supervision.
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Strong judgment and project management skills and someone who is always thinking about better ways of doing things
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: