Director, Marketplace StrategySan Jose, California Requisition Number R0037010 Subsidiary eBay
With more than 180 million active users across 190 countries and over 1 billion active product listings, eBay is the world’s most vibrant and dynamic online marketplace. Founded in 1995, eBay Inc. connects people around the world, enabling them to buy and sell online. eBay Inc. does this by providing the Internet platforms of choice for global commerce, payments and communications. eBay Inc. is headquartered in San Jose, California. For more information about the company and its global portfolio of online brands, visit www.ebayinc.com.
About the team:
We are responsible for setting the future direction of eBay: our ambition, where we play, and how we win in the market. Our team is responsible for deeply understanding the needs of our core buyers and sellers and creating the strategies that will differentiate eBay relative to our competitors. We work very closely with product, technology, and regional business teams to ensure the strategy is translated into action across the end-to-end customer experience.
The Director of Marketplaces Strategy is a senior leader who will lead global cross-functional projects consisting of 2-6 Strategy Associates, Managers, and Senior Managers. He or she will bring both process and content leadership to strategy projects and act as the point person between Strategy and cross-functional business teams including Verticals, Product, Marketing, M&A, Business Development, and Finance. Example project topics include vertical strategy, country strategy, buyer and seller experience, marketing effectiveness, or strategic partner due diligence.
Responsibilities include Market and Competitive Analysis, Strategy Development, Strategy Mobilization, Team Leadership and Executive Communication. See details below.
- Strategy Development: Develop the strategies for eBay to differentiate itself in the market. This will include creating the strategies, developing the key initiatives to support the strategies and working closely with key eBay constituencies to gain buy-in.
- Project leadership: Lead complex cross-functional projects involving executive and senior stakeholders from various part of the organization.
- Strategy Mobilization: Work with the eBay line organization as needed to support mobilization and implementation of the business strategies.
- Market and Competitive Analysis: Develop insightful market intelligence about key industry trends (technology, competitors, consumers, regulatory, etc.) and inform the organization of their strategic implications.
- Business Analytics: Drive business judgment, market understanding, problem solving, and fact-based analysis to identify, prioritize, structure, and solve complex business problems.
- Team Leadership: Lead and mentor a talented and driven strategy team in the development and execution of strategic initiatives.
- Communication: Support the communication effort to keep eBay’s CEO, Scott Schenkel and the executive team informed as to the strategic direction and initiatives within the group. Support the broader organizational communication of the strategy as needed.
- Proven thought leader with at least 8-10 years of work experience – at least 2-3 years at a strategy consulting firm are a must. Expertise in technology, ideally in e-commerce, retail, payments, and/or consumer facing products is highly desirable.
- Strong executive presence and ability to communicate strategy clearly and simply. Ease with executive-level interactions - ability to distill complex business issues and strategies to highlight insights and actionable recommendations in a concise and persuasive manner.
- Ability to lead cross-functional collaboration in a highly matrixed and complex environment.
- Skilled in strategy development, including project scoping, hypotheses development, financial and business modeling, strategic options identification, consensus building, and implementation.
- Creativity and “out of the box” thinking that drives innovation. The ability to “see around corners” and “connect the dots” that enable business to proactively drive business, not just respond to it.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and mentor a talented and driven strategy team in the development and execution of strategic initiatives.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelors Degree required, MBA or equivalent preferred.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work.. To learn about our Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/diversity-inclusion/.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: