Manager, Business SystemsSan Jose, California Requisition Number R0018133
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and imagination, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to creating an ambitious and inclusive workplace, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of.
A top priority at eBay is Structured Data. We are improving visibility and offering best-in-class guidance and insights through structured data to help buyers find items more easily, and provide sellers with better insights and an improved selling experience. Using structured data -- a transformative step to drive discoverability of our vast inventory, insights into supply and demand, pricing trends, among other things -- and artificial intelligence, we’re powering a shopping experience that is tailored to each eBay user’s interests, passions and shopping history. With more than one billion items from new, to nearly new to vintage, we’re making shopping on eBay all about you, instead of a one-size-fits-all approach.
You are the hub for Classification’s people, processes, projects & planning. You are a motivator, a problem solver and relentlessly are looking to improve the work lives, throughput and impact of your team.
You are aligned with eBay’s core values & strive to influence in multiple directions.
More specifically, our ideal candidate:
- Directly manages the Category & Aspect Vocabulary (Taxonomy) staff including hiring, salary administration, addressing performance management problems and performance reviews.
- Leads and manages major projects with an overall accountability for project success.
- Works with management and teams to establish project performance goals, metrics, and baselines. Establishes and maintains effective communications with team members, stakeholders, senior management and contacts.
- Communicates project status to identified stakeholders through routine status reports and meetings. Initiates and maintains issue logs, taking responsibility for identifying and coordinating resolution of all technical and business issues.
- Oversees the compilation of data and analyzes past and current year Category & Aspect Vocabulary (Taxonomy) requirements to prepare budgets and justify funds requested.
- Continuously researches, identifies, captures, understands and brings to best practices, standards, tools, methodologies and capabilities. Actively seeks to identify and close skill gaps with the Structured Data Organization.
- Represents the taxonomy team’s challenges & successes to staff & management to determine training and technical needs, and to inform management of the department’s programs and goals.
- Reviews operating results of the departments, compares them to established objectives and takes steps to ensure that appropriate measures are taken to correct unsatisfactory results.
- Responds to information needs through implementation/modification of Category & Aspect Vocabulary (Taxonomy) tools and processes.
- Develops Category & Aspect Vocabulary (Taxonomy) policies, programs and schedules, based on identified knowledge needs, company processes, or changes in products, procedures, or services.
- Actively participates with peers in the strategic planning for Structured Data overall vision and leads the strategic and tactical planning for the Classification group.
- Monitor trends in the Content Management industry, including: process, technology and culture. Identify new methods, tools and change management initiatives that support realization of eBay’s Structured Data vision.
• Direct experience building and managing online taxonomies & managing taxonomists
• Has a minimum: BA or BS degree, or equivalent experience, in Library and Information Science, Data Science, or the equivalent, in work experience. (i.e. experience in classification, metadata, and information architecture.)
• Passionate about classification and classification related research.
• Familiar with eBay.com website and core business; successful experience working within eBay a plus.
• Comfortable presenting, discussing and representing the structured data point of view in discussions with both business and technology partners inside and outside of the organization.
• Comfortable leading a project, or small team: executing on deliverables, reporting out status.
• Capable of managing remote teams on multiple projects involving large datasets.
• Comfortable giving and receiving constructive criticism and feedback.
• Self-motivated, positive, analytical, detail-oriented & a quick learner who seeks to exceed expectations.
• Is curious, enjoying both the process of finding, & discovering, of the proverbial needle in a haystack.
• Computer literate and proficient with MS office suite of tools.
• Has outstanding written and oral communication skills.
View our accessibility infoR0018133
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or long term unemployment circumstances. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.