Sr. Manager - Competitive StrategySan Jose, California Requisition Number R0036840
eBay is a global commerce leader that allows you to shape how the world buys, sells, and gives. You’ll be part of a work culture that’s been genuinely committed to diversity and inclusion since its founding more than 20 years ago. Here, you can just be yourself, do your best work, and have a meaningful impact on people across the globe. We are looking for people with drive, ideas, and a passion for helping small businesses succeed to help shape the future of eBay—does this sound like you? If so, we’d love to talk to you!
About the team:
We play an instrumental role in connecting people with the things they need and love, anytime, anywhere. The Americas help deliver a personalized shopping experience and seamless access to inventory from down the street and around the world, as well as tailored shopping experiences, including customized buying and selling. eBay aims to drive growth into new markets and drive value in the shopping and selling experience through “building, accelerating, and disrupting.” The team is comprised of marketing, merchandising, operations, business selling, consumer selling, and shipping. Our responsibilities include all aspects of the region including operations in the US, Canada and Latin America.
The Competitive Strategy and Insights team leads the charge to empower the Americas business with deep understanding of the competitive landscape. This team partners with key leaders in the business, finance and product teams across eBay to identify, synthesize and quantify, competitive opportunity at a detailed level across multiple business verticals. The team spans skill sets across market research, strategy, analytics and user experience.
- Partner with category leads to identify emerging competitive threats in priority categories
- Conduct comprehensive deep dives of key competitors, including:
- Complete financial “tear downs” (P&L, cash flow/balance sheet, financing history, projections, unit economics)
- Competitive user experience assessments and develop recommendations on barriers and assets to entry
- Strategic deep dives:
- Identification of major drivers of differentiation; potential points of weakness
- Site experience assessment
- “War gaming” exercises: Assess likelihood and financial impact of potential action-reaction scenarios
- Synthesize these insights into weekly reports for both executive audiences (key takeaways) as well as key category partners (operational insights)
- Excellent communication (written/verbal) and presentation skills
- Story-telling: Ability to extract insights from data and translate that into clear, actionable recommendations
- Stellar analytical skills and experience crafting/visualizing business strategy, Experience in manipulating large data sets/ interpreting data trends
- Significant experience with competitor analysis and user experience mapping (product management experience is a plus)
- Experience managing 3rd party vendors – developing SLAs, managing contracts, and ensuring vendors provide quality deliverables on-time
- Mastery of Powerpoint and Excel
- Strong project management skills and ability to multi-task
- Ability to develop strong professional relationships and influence others
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment and deliver output under tight timelines
- 7 – 10 years of experience in a Strategy Consulting, preferably with a focus on Technology and Tech Products
- MBA or Master’s in a technical/quantitative field
- Prior experience in management consulting or corporate strategy
- Prior experience in ecommerce (or consumer-focused Internet businesses)
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: