Staff software engineer - Backend
San Jose, California
Want to work for a company that changes millions of users lives around the globe every day? Contributed to a large-scale ecommerce enterprise function? Have you ever wondered how a platform is built that handles millions of transactions seamlessly? Curious about how a system makes transactions in phenomenal scale and moves millions of money regardless of country and currency? Ever wanted to be part of such a product development team and a company? Here is your chance to join such a team.
eBay Selling team is seeking a highly motivated individual to join as a developer and leader with vision. In this org we are always at the cutting edge of technology and delivery and really commit to ensure complete customer experiences with minimal friction. This position will require the candidate to build out the application stack on multiple devices and work directly with our business partners to research, develop and deploy next generation web apps on multiple technologies for high volume transaction environments. The candidate is expected to be effective as an individual contributor, great teammate, and a champion for results and incremental improvement. In addition to this, the candidate will be expected to have an excellent grasp of crafting and implementing frameworks and architectures based on internal and external standards.
• Design, develop and support projects throughout all phases of the software development process
• Develop innovative solutions that meet market needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, realistic implementation schedules, and consistency to development goals and principles
• Participate in all aspects of PDLC including requirement/design reviews as well as code reviews.
• Create testing harness/infrastructure/test cases/Automation geared towards ensuring quality of the product
• Estimate engineering effort, plan implementation, and rollout system changes
• Lead product initiatives, recommend improvements, mentor and guide junior team members
• Identify project risks and work effectively to mitigate them
• Share release management duties on feature rollouts,
• Develop industry and product technical expertise
• Find and help fix stability/scalability issues in a very time critical environment
• Ability to think out of the box in solving real world problems.
• A portfolio or work samples demonstrating coding skills (e.g links to Github repository from open source contributions).
• Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills.
• Degree in computer science/engineering or equivalent professional experience.
• Bachelor's degree with 5+ years of experience
• Master’s degree with 4+ years of experience
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
At eBay Buyer Experience team, the drive for a faster and sleeker pages constantly inspires me. The fact that my work touches millions of users everyday in one way or the other and to learn what affects a person’s decision to make that purchase brings a sense of fulfillment.–Dileep, Staff Software Engineer
Everyday, I get a chance to work with smart and dedicated people to build the best shopping experience for our customers. Because so many people use eBay, I am proud that my work is impacting people in a positive way.–Steve, Full Stack Software Engineer
Everyday I work with people passionate to deliver great experiences for millions of buyers and sellers. It brings me great joy knowing that the features I work on greatly impact the lives of people from around the world, from all walks of life.–Andrew, Software Engineer
We do things different, the hack way, the happy way. And we celebrate the best way. We are the pirates of eBay!–Shakul, Software Development Manager
eBay gives me the freedom to challenge the status quo. This creates a unique adrenaline rush that pushes all boundaries and paradigms and helps bring out new ideas that ultimately redefine e-commerce shopping experience. If you love such challenges, you'll love work at eBay.–Sriharsha, Software Engineer
What makes a successful Software Developer at eBay? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Medical, Dental,Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA, Health and Wellness Programs
401(k) / Retirement Plans
Employer Matching, Employee Stock Purchase Program
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development
Paid Time Off
16+ Days of Paid Time Off, Paid Maternity leave, Paid Paternity Leave, 11 Paid Holidays
Onsite Gym/Fitness Center
Sabbatical, 4 paid weeks every 5 years