Technical Duty OfficerSan Jose, California Requisition Number R0036500 Subsidiary eBay
eBay is seeking an Incident Manager, Systems administrator, or Site Reliability engineer that will be responsible for Technical Incident Management of key production systems and services. eBay provides an ecommerce platform used by millions of people around the world. As a Technical Duty Officer (‘TDO’) at eBay your work will help ensure that the services that power the eBay platform are available and reliable.
The TDO is the senior technical resource in the eBay operations center, and during unexpected outages is responsible for quickly assessing technical and business impact, and determining recovery options. During these incidents, TDOs will work with cross-organizational technical teams to build and execute mitigation plans. eBay TDOs are passionate about technology and have deep understanding of infrastructure and highly-scaled systems.
As an eBay TDO your responsibilities will include:
- Maintain complete awareness of the health of eBay's critical services, identifying potential issues, and working with the eBay SRE team and other teams to solve these issues before they cause impact to users or the business.
- When unexpected outages occur, collaborate with various technical teams at eBay to determine the best course of action for solving the problem. In many cases, the TDO will directly execute mitigation actions.
- Work with Architecture, Engineering, and Operations teams to develop creative solutions to attain high site availability and reliability.
- Improve monitoring and tooling used to detect and mitigate site incidents.
- Supply to incident documentation, communications to management, suggestions on prevention and reliability, and involvement with postmortem discussions.
- Conduct audits, tests and drills to strengthen eBay’s reliability, and incident management capabilities.
- As TDO, you will also help handle emergency change requests, and will help oversee certain complex maintenance activities.
To be successful in this position at eBay you will need:
- A B.S. in Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
- At least 5+ years experience with highly-scaled internet/server environments.
- Familiarity with common IT technologies such as: virtualized servers, containers, data centers, networking, database and storage, DNS, load balancers, network security and high availability.
- Excellent Incident Management skills, and strong leadership abilities.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Sharp technical triage and analytical skills.
- Ability to multitask.
- Scripting and/or software development ability.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: