Legal Director, Payments, APACSingapore, Singapore Requisition Number R0035294 Subsidiary eBay
eBay is where the world goes to shop, sell, and give. Whether you are buying new or used, plain or luxurious, commonplace or rare, trendy or one-of-a-kind – if it exists in the world, it probably is for sale on eBay. Our mission is to be the world’s favorite destination for discovering phenomenal value and outstanding selection. We give sellers the platform, solutions, and support they need to grow their businesses and thrive. We measure our success by our customers' success.
The ideal candidate is passionate about building and innovating with an intense focus on the customer experience. These professionals have been part of building payments functionality across APAC, especially for Singapore, Australia and China. S/he will work in one of the e-commerce world's best-in-class in-house Legal & Government Relations/Public Policy Departments as a key advisor on one of eBay’s most significant strategic moves in the last few years. S/he must lead in a practical, pragmatic way on a diverse range of groundbreaking legal issues in the payment area.
This Role’s primary accountabilities include:
Regulatory advising and engagement
- Cross-functionally working with related partners to craft a regulatory strategy regarding the payment products across APAC.
- Leading eBay’s efforts to obtain necessary payments licenses in APAC to support its Managed Payments activities in the region and around the globe.
- Crafting and managing relationships with select regulators, including serving as a primary partner for regulator communications. Implement a plan to obtain and maintain needed or desired licenses.
- Collaborating with Government Relations and other teams regarding new regulatory initiatives.
- Reviewing payments product structure, flows and marketing to ensure compliance with legal requirements.
- Draft disclosures, terms of service and other user-facing languages for payments product launches and updates.
- Identifying legal ramifications of fast-growing eBay’s operating model regarding payment products.
- Independently coordinating with functional co-workers, including the Global Payments and Billing organization, Product, Tax, Finance, Privacy, Information Security, Litigation, IP, Corporate, Compliance, Regional Legal Teams and other internal teams as needed.
- Structuring agreements to enable a global payments strategy.
- Advising executives and partners on liabilities associated with different deals.
- Working with business and functional stakeholders to understand, structure, draft, negotiate and close commercial agreements with external partners.
- Working cross-functionally to develop and execute on a regulatory and licensing strategy with respect to certain payments products in multiple jurisdictions.
- Working closely with the payments business unit, product and tech, and functional organizations and acting as a real-time legal advisor to understand their needs and help to find creative solutions to achieve business objectives.
Candidates must have:
- Law degree and authorized to practice law in Singapore.
- At least 8+ years of meaningful legal experience, with the vast majority at a global company of scale in fintech, the payments organization of a large marketplaces/platform company and/or achieving similar strategic outcomes for a payments organization at scale
- Understanding of legal principles applicable to payments, including the payments ecosystem (e. g., the role of acquiring and issuing banks, card networks, payment processors, gateways, etc.), regulatory and licensing strategy and execution (e. g., stored value, money transmission and escrow licensing and compliance obligations, escheatment, international regulatory and licensing issues) and consumer protection laws
- Strong business acumen and, in particular, proficient and articulate in connection with trends and key players in the payments and e-commerce sectors
- The ability to build positive relationships quickly and get along with junior to senior business leaders with ease
- Willingness to be flexible with the scope and variety of projects to be undertaken in this role
- Comfort with ambiguity, constant change, a fast-paced culture, and a practical, solutions-oriented focus to solving legal challenges
- Capable of working with minimal supervision
- Ambitious and proactive
- Excellent judgment and project management skills and someone who is always thinking about innovative ways of doing things
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: