Search EngineerToronto, Canada Requisition Number R0035040 Subsidiary eBay Classifieds Group
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and creativity, where you can be part of the team shaping the future of global commerce? Where you’ll be supported in challenging convention, taking risks, and innovating. Where you can just be yourself, do your best work, and have a meaningful impact for people across the globe. We are looking for people with drive, ideas, and a real passion for helping to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world. Does this sound like you? If so, we’d love to meet you!
ABOUT THE TEAM:
At eBay Classifieds Group we are re-inventing the way we approach and tackle information retrieval and findability within our local businesses, to revolutionize the way we connect buyers and sellers. As the global leader in online classifieds with major properties including Kijiji Canada, Gumtree UK, and Marktplaats NL, the solutions of the Finding Science (FiSci) team affect millions of users across the world.
As a Search Engineer in the FiSci team, you will be instrumental in the execution of our vision, working closely with a specialized group of engineers, Machine Learning specialists and architects. If you are passionate about search technology and solving some of the toughest search problems out there, then this role is for you.
You will be primarily focused on the development and delivery of Search Profiling APIs to power our local markets with real time, lightning fast search intelligence capabilities. Some of these capabilities include Category Prediction, Search Keyword Prediction, Trending/Popular Search Queries and Vision. Whether it's using Elasticsearch, Spark or Neural Networks, you will work on initiatives that turn data into competitive advantage.
- End to end implementation of mission critical search intelligence services
- Prototyping and researching solutions to problems as part of product discovery and scoping
- Productionizing ML solutions in Spark and Tensorflow collaboratively with ML specialists, and fellow engineers
- Refining, scoping and guiding requirements with product managers
- Presenting and communicating internally and sometimes externally at meetups and hosted events
- Active participation in continuous improvement of FiSci's engineering processes and infrastructure
- Development of data/search insights platforms and supporting tools for ML specialists
- Mentoring and coaching more junior engineers and participating in code and design reviews
- Participating in and guiding broader platform architecture design and decisions with fellow engineers and architects
- Traveling within Europe and the United States to assist with technical integrations and search initiatives
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. in Computer Science or equivalent
- Solid background in elementary statistics and mathematics
- Validated ability to learn new problem domains and technologies
- Proficient in Java and Linux environments
- Strong foundation in Web programming and application data formats and protocols
- Well versed in micro-service architectures and concepts such as service discovery, chassis, bounded contexts, and load balancing
- Familiarity with information retrieval concepts such as TF-IDF, recall and ranking
- Basic knowledge of Machine Learning concepts in supervised and unsupervised learning
- Comfortable debating ideas with others to arrive at sound decisions
- Professional experience in the eCommerce domain
- Previous experience developing search driven platforms and use cases at scale
- Professional experience with Scala, Docker and Python
- Proficiency working with Big Data & ML systems such as Hadoop/Spark & Keras/Tensorflow
- Design and implementation experience of low latency, HA software systems
- Experience developing within eventually consistent dual region systems
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: